Classification: Full Time,Hourly
Location: La Jolla California on the beautiful campus of the University of California, San Diego
Schedule: Weekdays, weeknights, some holidays and/or weekends
Reports to: AssociateProduction Manager
Works With: LJP Staff, UCSD Residents & Students, Visiting Artists & Designers, IATSE Labor, Stage Management
Posting Date: November 2023
Start Date: December 18, 2023
To Apply: Submit a cover letter and resume to [email protected]. Please include in the subject line – “Assistant Production Manager ”
La Jolla Playhouse is a place where artists and audiences come together to create what’s new and next in the American theatre, from Tony Award-winning productions, to imaginative programs for young audiences, to interactive experiences outside our theatre walls. Founded in 1947 by Gregory Peck, Dorothy McGuire and Mel Ferrer, the Playhouse is currently led by Tony Award winner Christopher Ashley, the Rich Family Artistic Director of La Jolla Playhouse, and Managing Director Debby Buchholz. The Playhouse is internationally renowned for the development of new plays and musicals, including mounting 105 world premieres, commissioning 60 new works, and sending 33 productions to Broadway, garnering a total of 38 Tony Awards, as well as the 1993 Tony Award for Outstanding Regional Theatre. These works include the Broadway hits Come From Away and Memphis, directed by Ashley; The Who’s Tommy; the Pulitzer Prize-winning I Am My Own Wife; and Jersey Boys.
La Jolla Playhouse is committed to diversity in all areas of our work, on and off stage. We lead with our values and encourage individuals with unique perspectives to apply. La Jolla Playhouse is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE).
Statement of Job
The Assistant Production Manager serves as a key member of La Jolla Playhouse’s Production Department.
The Assistant Production Manager (APM) is responsible for working with the Production Manager and Associate Production Manager in all aspects of running the department and is expected to function independently in a detail-critical environment. The APM will assist on subscription season shows and serve as primary project facilitator for various presented and produced productions, workshops and festivals. This position works closely with and is responsible for facilitating projects from conception through completion with the design and creative teams for each project to which they are assigned. Strong candidates will possess a demonstrated ability in project management and knowledge of theatre or event practices. The successful candidate is a manager with a background in theatrical or event management and who is committed to the artistic vision and mission of La Jolla Playhouse.
The position is full time, non- exempt, and is eligible for overtime and full benefits. The typical schedule for this position will be regular weekday work with some nights and weekends. This position will work in person at the offices at La Jolla Playhouse and occasionally off-site in greater San Diego for specific projects.
Essential Job Duties
- Assist Project Management for all Subscription Season Shows, WOW & some Additional Programming including creating and maintaining calendars and contact sheets, meeting management and notes, and rehearsal, music rehearsal, tech and performance support.
- Serve as primary project facilitator for POP Tour, Theatre in Residence Program, Learning & Engagement Activities, and other various presented and produced LJP productions, workshops, festivals and special events as assigned by the Production Manager.
- Provide Production support and coordination for special events and education events.
- Assist with production safety and training
- Serve as backup for all primary day-to-day administrative duties of the Production Office Manager in their absence. These duties shall include but is not limited to: processing payroll, IATSE labor call schedule, employee onboarding, contracts, fees, contact information, invoicing, receipts, check requests, human resources tasks, parking, and report distribution.
- Works with the Production Office Manager in supporting stage management teams including the management, setup, strike of rehearsal rooms and theatre for technical rehearsals.
- Coordinates preview tickets, archival video recording, access performances, and audience engagement events.
- Works with the Production Manager and the Associate PM in contracting of designers and additional production or design staff.
- Serve as production department liaison to other departments of the theatre such as facilities, education and special events.
- Function in a professional and collegial manner when collaborating with all theatre personnel, professional creative teams, staff, management and other visiting artists.
- Attend meeting, rehearsals technical rehearsals as requested
- All other special projects and duties as assigned.
Requirements and Proficiencies
- 1-3 years Professional experience in Project Management in a theatre or event environment or equivalent. Formal and cross disciplinary experiences will be considered.
- A familiarity with entertainment production.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Detail oriented, proactive and able to carry out projects from beginning to end.
- Detailed knowledge and experience using Microsoft Office programs including Word, Excel, Power-Point and Outlook; Knowledge of database and inventory software a plus.
- Demonstrated success in time and personnel management (Calendars, Schedules, Production Process) and budgeting
- Demonstrated creative judgment, and excellent problem-solving, communication and time-management skills.
- Ability to work within specific deadlines and adapt to changing priorities as well as attend to numerous projects concurrently.
- Willingness to promote current health and safety practices in the theater industry
- Commitment to uphold and meaningfully engage with the mission, vision and values of La Jolla Playhouse.
- Being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by an FDA approved vaccine is a condition of employment
- Ability to lift and carry 25 lbs
- Ability to move between work locations within Theatre District.
- Ability to work extended hours including nights and weekends during load in and technical rehearsals.