DEPARTMENT: Company Management
REPORTS TO: Company Manager
LOCATION: La Jolla, California on the beautiful campus of the University of California, San Diego
FLSA STATUS: This is a part-time, non-exempt (hourly) position (not eligible for benefits)
COMPENSATION: $17.00 per hour
HOW TO APPLY: Submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include in the subject line – “Company Management Assistant”
La Jolla Playhouse is a place where artists and audiences come together to create what’s new and next in the American theatre, from Tony Award-winning productions, to imaginative programs for young audiences, to interactive experiences outside our theatre walls. Founded in 1947 by Gregory Peck, Dorothy McGuire and Mel Ferrer, the Playhouse is currently led by Tony Award winner Christopher Ashley, the Rich Family Artistic Director of La Jolla Playhouse, and Managing Director Debby Buchholz. The Playhouse is internationally renowned for the development of new plays and musicals, including mounting 105 world premieres, commissioning 60 new works, and sending 33 productions to Broadway, garnering a total of 38 Tony Awards, as well as the 1993 Tony Award for Outstanding Regional Theatre. These works include the Broadway hits Come From Away, Diana and Memphis, all directed by Ashley; The Who’s Tommy; the Pulitzer Prize-winning I Am My Own Wife; and Jersey Boys.
La Jolla Playhouse is committed to diversity in all areas of our work, on and off stage. We lead with our values and encourage individuals with unique perspectives to apply. La Jolla Playhouse is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE).
STATEMENT OF JOB
The Company Management Assistant is a resource for not only the Company Management team, but also to the entire La Jolla Playhouse as a whole. The position consists of numerous jobs that change daily: however, specific tasks that are the responsibility of the Company Management Assistant are as follows:
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES
- Assist the Company Manager and team with duties as assigned.
- Act as a liaison between La Jolla Playhouse and visiting artists including actors, musicians, designers, and creative staff. Provide concierge type service and act as a resource for information to all visiting artists.
- Safely drive company vehicles and/or company-rented vehicles, INCLUDING 15-PASSENGER VAN to transport visiting artists to and from the airport, company housing, daily rehearsals, and miscellaneous appointments.
- Assist with coordinating travel for visiting artists including creating travel itineraries and providing arrival instructions.
- Assist with coordinating and arranging housing for all visiting artists. Assist with all operational details to prepare the Company housing which includes: completing inventory, purchasing and/or replacing any damaged or missing items, and scheduling maintenance appointments as needed.
- Assist with planning and executing special events including Welcome Company Breakfasts, Tech Night Dinners, Opening Night Cards & Gifts, and Closing Night Champagne Toasts. Responsibilities include assisting with the planning, setting up, hosting, shopping for necessary items, coordinating with vendors, ordering and picking up food, beverage and/or specialty gift items and overall clean up.
- Assist in maintaining Housing Maintenance Log as well as Bike and Vehicle maintenance.
- Share on-call duties as needed.
REQUIREMENTS & PROFICIENCIES
- Previous theatre administration experience highly desired.
- Must be familiar with theatre terminology and practices.
- Customer service and hospitality experience is preferred.
- Ability to maintain highly confidential information and use excellent judgment on a variety of sensitive subjects.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office, including Outlook, Word and Excel is required.
- Strong interpersonal skills including tact, diplomacy, flexibility and a positive and friendly disposition.
- In order to drive the 15-passenger vehicle, applicants must be over the age of 23 and have a clean driving record.
- Being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by an FDA approved vaccine is a condition of employment.
- Frequently lifts/moves items weighing up to 50 lbs with team assistance.
- Must be able to work a flexible schedule, including nights, weekends and holidays.