POSITION: Director of Marketing and Audience Engagement
SUPERVISOR: Executive Director
STATUS: Full-time, Exempt
San Diego Junior Theatre (SDJT) provides engaging, innovative, high-quality theatre education and productions for children of all cultural heritages, ages, abilities and levels of interest.
Position Summary: Reporting to the Executive Director, the Director of Marketing and Audience Engagement willdefine strategic goals and target potential prospects for campaigns that BROADEN, DEEPEN and DIVERSIFY SDJT’s audience and the scope of its mission.
AUDIENCE = Patrons in seats, students in classes, and volunteer families; as well as donors, alumni, parent auxiliary and student leadership organizations.
- Develop, execute and manage a marketing and audience engagement plan and budget
- Strategize and execute all marketing and communication efforts
- Act as primary representative for all contact with media outlets
- Cultivate and maintain relationships with the press, current families, alumni and fundraising prospects.
- Create and monitor marketing and advertising budgets
- Produce reports demonstrating impact of marketing efforts
- Monitor and update SDJT’s website and social media sites to ensure current information and consistent messaging.
- Develop, track, and analyze social media campaigns and advertising
- Grow Audiences – resulting in revenue, a new family, or continued involvement
- Create more meaningful experiences for audiences
- Identify, welcome and maintain underrepresented audiences into the theatre
- Develop unique events such as talkbacks, lobby displays or special workshops and supporting material
- Represent and advocate for San Diego Junior Theatre in the community
- Provide decision-making support in the absence of the Executive Director
- Participate in the ongoing strategic planning process as an integral member of the senior management team
- Supervise Patron Services Director and oversee box office operations
- Support the Executive Director in development activities
listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work
that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not
exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical
assignment to the position.
Interactions: Staff, contractors, board of trustees, vendors, local government and community leaders, volunteers,students, parents, media representatives, grantors and prospective grantors, donors and prospective donors
Level of financial impact: High
Evaluation Criteria: Marketing and Engagement activities; effective supervision of box office personnel; budget control; meeting financial goals and effective partnership with the Senior Staff.
Education, Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Bachelor degree in communications, marketing, public relations, or related field
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- A friendly and professional demeanor
- Experience crafting press releases, publications, and promotional materials
- Experience working with arts-focused nonprofit strongly preferred
- Proficiency in basic computer skills including Microsoft Office; experience with Salesforce and WordPress strongly preferred
- Experience managing employees
- Ability to work as a team player
- Ability to prioritize, handle multiple tasks, be detailed-oriented, and meet deadlines
- Ability to maintain confidentiality regarding internal affairs and student matters
- Familiarity with Junior Theatre programs, processes, and policies a plus
Physical Requirements and Work Environment: Work is primarily conducted during traditional Monday to Fridaywork week, with occasional evenings and weekends required. Work is typically performed in a shared office setting; some local travel required. Employee regularly sits at a computer station and operates electronic equipment 6 to 8 hours per day; occasionally lifts, carries and positions objects weighing up to 20 pounds; regularly walks from one part of worksite to another; must be able to climb stairs or take elevator. Position involves regular use of a computer and keyboard, telephone, and face-to-face communications; employee should be able to communicate clearly and professionally in all of these manners. The employee may spend long periods of time sitting, standing, or walking. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Additional Information: This position requires a criminal background check prior to hire and successfulcompletion of California State Mandated Reporter Training.
San Diego Junior Theatre provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, gender, sex, gender identity or expression, age, medical condition, sexual orientation, marital status, citizenship, pregnancy, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, military status, caregiver status or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
box office: 619- 239-8355