Job Title: General Manager
Reports to: Executive Director
Supervises: Finance, Development, Marketing and Production Departments
FLSA Status: Full time, Exempt
About this Position:
The General Manager is the number two position in the organization, reporting to the Executive Director, and responsible for overall operations and day-to-day management of Mainly Mozart to achieve the organization’s mission and vision. The General Manager works with the Executive Director to develop a performance culture among all members of the Mainly Mozart team and oversees administrative and artistic operations for all Mainly Mozart programs and events, delivering measurable -data-driven – results to ensure realization of organizational vision. The General Manager oversees preparation and execution of all artistic, production, and stage operations for all Mainly Mozart events and oversees preparation of all artist and venue contracts. The successful candidate will be able to manage multiple tasks, provide clear communication and leadership, and have a strong financial and data background. Duties of the General Manager include but are not limited to:
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Work with the Executive Director to achieve the organizational mission and vision
- Provide direct supervision to senior staff and oversight to all staff (including running weekly senior staff and all-staff meetings)
Program Operations and Internal Systems
Oversee all aspects of internal systems and information technology , including conversion to a new Customer Relations Management system.
- Oversee staff to address operational and production needs for all programs and events.
- Work with Executive Director to execute and ensure and track all contracts/external agreements.
Operations, Event Production, and Performance Liaison
- Ensure accurate institutional calendars
- Ensure accurate and timely event and concert venue contracts
- Ensure compliance with all venue rules and contracts.
- Ensure compliance with all OSHA Standards and safety outlines implemented by the appropriate venue.
- Oversee youth orchestra-related programs and activities.
- Oversee concert production with the goal of creating unparalleled concert experiences.
Financial Systems and Compliance
- Serve as primary liaison to the Finance Committee of the Board of Directors
- Working with Controller and Executive Director, lead preparation and oversight of annual budget.
- Oversee Finance Department to ensure strong and accurate payroll systems, AP, AR and financial reports.
- Approve all purchases and manage expenditures according to approved budget.
- Ensure organizational compliance with all local, state, and federal laws.
- Ensure licenses acquisition for ASCAP, BMI, and other relevant performance rights granting agencies.
- Establish, maintain, and implement strong HR policies that are compliant with local, state, and federal labor laws.
- Maintain accurate job descriptions and employment policies.
- Establish and work to maintain positive employee culture.
- Ensure maintenance and distribution of accurate employee handbook according to current employment laws, trends, and best practices.
This position requires sitting at a desk or workstation, walking, standing, climbing stairs, hearing, speaking, being able to lift up to 25 lb. and ability to drive to locations pertaining to organizational operations. In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire. This is a full-time position with work responsibilities on weekends and/or evenings as required.
- Proven financial and data systems expertise and experience.
- A minimum five years’ experience in the performing arts field (with experience in classical music organizations a plus).
- Strong writing and verbal communications skills.
- Highly self-motivated and goal-oriented with keen attention to detail.
- Ability to handle input and requests from multiple staff members.
- Ability to prioritize one’s own work as well as the work of others to handle rush periods
- Ability to meet deadlines and work well under pressure.
- A team player who can maintain and communicate a positive attitude.
About Mainly Mozart
For over 30 years San Diego based Mainly Mozart has presented a June Festival that features an orchestra made up of concertmasters and first chair players from leading North American orchestras. Mainly Mozart additionally produces chamber music concerts throughout the year in the greater San Diego region, which also includes Tijuana, Mexico. With 260 young musicians, the Mainly Mozart Youth Orchestra is a year-round program with five different ensembles which inspires and instructs the next generation of musicians, serves students with cognitive differences and gives these young people a chance to interact with the Festival’s top artists.
Mainly Mozart celebrates the genius within us all as we allow the universal language of music to guide us toward social harmony. To that end, Mainly Mozart explores the music/brain connection with a focus on autism spectrum, through Mozart & the Mind, a four day festival next set for April 2020.
To apply, submit cover letter and resume to email@example.com. No phone calls please.