REPORTS TO: Operations Manager
LOCATION: La Jolla, California on the beautiful campus of the University of California, San Diego
CLASSIFICATION: Full-time, non-exempt (hourly) position, eligible for a full array of benefits including health and life insurance, 403(b) retirement plan, and paid time off (vacation, sick and 11 holidays)
COMPENSATION: $22.00 – $25.00 per hour (DOE)
SCHEDULE: Evening and weekend work
HOW TO APPLY: Submit a resume and cover letter to [email protected]. Please include in the subject line – “House Manager”
APPLY BY: May 12, 2023
La Jolla Playhouse is a place where artists and audiences come together to create what’s new and next in the American theatre, from Tony Award-winning productions, to imaginative programs for young audiences, to interactive experiences outside our theatre walls. Founded in 1947 by Gregory Peck, Dorothy McGuire and Mel Ferrer, the Playhouse is currently led by Tony Award winner Christopher Ashley, the Rich Family Artistic Director of La Jolla Playhouse, and Managing Director Debby Buchholz. The Playhouse is internationally renowned for the development of new plays and musicals, including mounting 108 world premieres, commissioning 70 new works, and sending 33 productions to Broadway, garnering a total of 38 Tony Awards, as well as the 1993 Tony Award for Outstanding Regional Theatre. These works include the Broadway hits Come From Away, Diana and Memphis, all directed by Ashley; The Who’s Tommy; the Pulitzer Prize-winning I Am My Own Wife; and Jersey Boys.
La Jolla Playhouse is committed to diversity in all areas of our work, on and off stage. We lead with our values and encourage individuals with unique perspectives to apply. La Jolla Playhouse is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE).
STATEMENT OF JOB
The House Manager oversees Front of House staff and volunteers including Assistant House Managers and Audience Concierges, as well as the volunteer Ushers and the Playhouse Partners. Provides excellent customer service to our patrons, responds to emergencies, problem solves and implements Front of House policies and procedures. Provides training for Front of House staff and volunteers to ensure La Jolla Playhouse standards are met. Collaborates with multiple departments: Operations, Production, Stage Management and Patron Services staff to ensure timely, efficient and safe performances. Coordinates with the vendor operating concessions or oversees theater concessions. Communicates and coordinates with UCSD parking and transportation services as needed.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES
- Supervise and schedule Front of House staff and volunteers for all shifts
- Conduct training for staff and volunteers
- Apply theatre policy and procedures to provide excellent customer service to our patrons. Address any special needs or requests
- Work with Stage Management and Patron Services to resolve any complaints or concerns
- Respond to emergencies: fire, earthquake, sick/injured patrons and threats of violence
- Coordinate or oversee theater concessions
- Enforce health and safety protocols when applicable (i.e. COVID-19 protocols)
- Ensure UCSD Parking Attendants and shuttles are operating as scheduled during shows
- Respond to facility needs during performances
- Prepare lobbies and theatre houses before, during and after performances
- Monitor and maintain equipment such as listening devices, ticket scanners and golf cart
- Assist with event setups and management
- Secure theatre premises at end of night
- Assist with special projects as requested by Operations
REQUIREMENTS & PROFICIENCIES
- Friendly, helpful attitude and excellent customer service are a must
- Ability to lead and work in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to learn and follow theatre policies and procedures
- Attention to detail
- Willingness to take the initiative
- Team player
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- First Aid/CPR certification preferred
- Experience working with volunteers
- Basic computer skills
- Alignment with the values of La Jolla Playhouse
- A commitment to uphold and support the Playhouse’s Anti-Racism Action Plan
- Passion for the arts – and more specifically, theatre!
- Being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by an FDA approved vaccine is a condition of employment
- Frequently lifts/moves items weighing up to 25 lbs.
- Frequently moves throughout multiple buildings and event spaces, both indoor and outdoor.
- Regular and predictable on-site attendance.
- Must be able to work a flexible schedule, including nights, weekends and holidays.