DEPARTMENT: Learning and Engagement
REPORTS TO: Director of Arts Engagement and In-House Casting
LOCATION: La Jolla, California on the beautiful campus of the University of California, San Diego
CLASSIFICATION: This is a full-time, non-exempt (hourly) position, eligible for a full array of benefits including health and life insurance, 403(b) retirement plan, paid time off (vacation, sick and 11 holidays), and complimentary tickets to Playhouse performances
COMPENSATION: $18.00-$19.00 per hour (DOE)
SCHEDULE: Mon-Fri 9:00am-5:30pm with occasional evening/weekend hours as needed
HOW TO APPLY: Submit a cover letter and resume to [email protected]. Please include in the subject line – “Learning and Engagement Coordinator”
La Jolla Playhouse is a place where artists and audiences come together to create what’s new and next in the American theatre, from Tony Award-winning productions, to imaginative programs for young audiences, to interactive experiences outside our theatre walls. Founded in 1947 by Gregory Peck, Dorothy McGuire and Mel Ferrer, the Playhouse is currently led by Tony Award winner Christopher Ashley, the Rich Family Artistic Director of La Jolla Playhouse, and Managing Director Debby Buchholz. The Playhouse is internationally renowned for the development of new plays and musicals, including mounting 108 world premieres, commissioning 70 new works, and sending 33 productions to Broadway, garnering a total of 38 Tony Awards, as well as the 1993 Tony Award for Outstanding Regional Theatre. These works include the Broadway hits Come From Away, Diana and Memphis, all directed by Ashley; The Who’s Tommy; the Pulitzer Prize-winning I Am My Own Wife; and Jersey Boys.
La Jolla Playhouse is committed to diversity in all areas of our work, on and off stage. We lead with our values and encourage individuals with unique perspectives to apply. La Jolla Playhouse is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE).
STATEMENT OF JOB
Working closely with the members of the Learning and Engagement (L&E) Department, the Learning and Engagement Coordinator will be responsible for providing administrative support to the L&E Department by managing departmental files including contracts, calendars, meeting agendas, payroll, audition materials and actor database, and event support.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES
- Attend Departmental, Learning Committee, and Playhouse Leadership Council meetings and take meeting notes.
- Process Parking Permit orders.
- Reserve the parking spaces for all Learning and Engagement events.
- Attend calendar meetings and manage department event calendar.
- Create and process check requests for the L&E Dept.
- Process Office Supply orders.
- Other administrative duties as needed.
- Create event postings, inserts, and programs.
- Schedule all theatre facility tour requests and conduct tours as needed.
- Assist in the coordination of L&E programs, including event registration, processing payments, preparing orientation materials, event setup, and providing customer/parent support.
CASTING & BOOKING SUPPORT:
- Work with In-House Casting and the L&E Manager to troubleshoot issues and support booking processes as needed.
- Track site data from stage management reports.
- Create, manage and print day-of documents for casting sessions (schedules, signs, audition forms, sign-in sheet, actor info sheets, etc.).
- Serve as audition monitor, reader and/or camera operator as needed.
REQUIREMENTS & PROFICIENCIES
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field with general administrative and organizational work experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Passion for the arts – and more specifically, theatre!
- Excellent writing skills, oral communication skills and presentation skills.
- Attention to detail.
- Organized and flexible.
- Ability to interact in an effective and professional manner with a wide variety of people.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office: Word, Outlook and Excel. Experience with Tessitura and social media a plus.
- Alignment with the values of La Jolla Playhouse.
- Being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by an FDA approved vaccine is a condition of employment.