MOXIE Theatre is seeking a collaborative, innovative and detail-oriented person, with professional experience in Production Management and/or Stage Management. Our ideal candidate for Production Manager is passionate about the arts as well as diversity, equity and inclusion.
Position Type: Hourly, part-time
Hours: Average work week will consist of 15 hours which can expand to 25 during productions. There is an opportunity for this position to grow into full-time in 1-2 years.
Start Date: February 2022 (Start date may be flexible)
Applications: Please send resume, three references and cover letter telling us why you are a great fit for MOXIE to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Role and Responsibilities
● Working with Artistic Director to develop season schedule for all productions and expanded programming
● Administering the production calendar and design deadlines to designers and production staff.
● Determining all design and production meetings, load-in, and tech schedules for productions.
● Guiding all director/design teams through the design process to guarantee the timely completion of all designs.
● With the input of appropriate technical staff, analyzing all designs submitted to determine the feasibility of execution within the allotted time, budget and personnel available.
● Developing working relationships with San Diego area designers, production managers, technicians, and actively scouting new talent.
● Reading and analyzing production scripts to determine production requirements.
● Developing and supervising production budgets with Managing Director & Executive Artistic Director and keeping them updated on the status of the production budget on a regular basis.
● Processing, tracking, and reconciling all production expenses.
● Coordinate with the Accounting Associate and Managing Director to see that all production personnel are paid appropriately.
Managing Production Personnel
● Coordinate with the Managing Director to assist as needed in the hiring of production staff and contractors.
● Act as a liaison between directors, designers, stage managers, and production and administrative staff.
● Coordinate and conduct all design and production meetings.
● Attend first read through, designer run, technical rehearsals, and previews as necessary.
● Maintain department contact information and show rosters.
● Serve as liaison to labor unions for actors, stage managers, and designers. Ensure company compliance with all union rules.
● Act as a liaison between production staff and Managing Director in the case that there are any production department-related claims for Workers’ Compensation.
● Maintain a safe work environment during productions at all times. Address safety hazards, monitor anonymous reporting forms and communicate with appropriate personnel promptly in the case of a concern.
Inventory and Purchasing
● Process, track and reconcile all production expenses.
● Oversee inventory and maintenance of all lighting, costume, and sound equipment.
● Oversee all routine facility production supply stocking.
● Organize, maintain, and catalog off-site scenic and costume storage spaces.
● Obtain off-site rehearsal space as needed.
● Attend strike for every production and oversee the plan for deconstructing sets, disposing of materials and returns with the technical director and appropriate personnel.
● Insure MOXIE property is returned to storage and return borrowed materials to local theatres.
● Assist as needed in scenic construction/painting.
About MOXIE Theatre Company
MOXIE’s mission is to create more diverse and honest images of women+ for our culture. MOXIE fulfills this mission by focusing on producing plays written by women+ and serving as a crucial pipeline for women in all areas of professional theatre, an industry that is still lacking in gender equality. Founded in 2004, MOXIE is in its 17th season and approaching its 70th production. MOXIE is a non-profit 501c3 organization with a reputation for producing award-winning and ground-breaking new plays and launching careers in acting, design, technical theatre, and theatre administration. MOXIE prides itself on being an organization focused on the “whole person.” What this means to MOXIE is that caregivers and parents are honored and intersectional identities and access needs are celebrated.