Status: Full Time,IATSEHourly, Non-Exempt
Pay: Rate 3, IATSE Local 122 – Currently $24.52/hr
Location: La Jolla, CA on the beautiful campus of the University of California, San Diego
Schedule: Regular weekday work, occasional overtime
Reports to: Shop Foreman
Works With: LJP Staff, Visiting Artists & Designers, IATSE Carpenters & Metal Fabricators
To Apply: Submit a cover letter, resume and references to [email protected]. Please include in the subject line – “Shop Helper”
La Jolla Playhouse is a place where artists and audiences come together to create what’s new and next in the American theatre, from Tony Award-winning productions, to imaginative programs for young audiences, to interactive experiences outside our theatre walls. Founded in 1947 by Gregory Peck, Dorothy McGuire and Mel Ferrer, the Playhouse is currently led by Tony Award winner Christopher Ashley, the Rich Family Artistic Director of La Jolla Playhouse, and Managing Director Debby Buchholz. The Playhouse is internationally renowned for the development of new plays and musicals, including mounting 108 world premieres, commissioning 70 new works, and sending 33 productions to Broadway, garnering a total of 38 Tony Awards, as well as the 1993 Tony Award for Outstanding Regional Theatre. These works include the Broadway hits Come From Away, Diana, and Memphis, all directed by Ashley; The Who’s Tommy; the Pulitzer Prize-winning I Am My Own Wife; and Jersey Boys.
La Jolla Playhouse is committed to diversity in all areas of our work, on and off stage. We lead with our values and encourage individuals with unique perspectives to apply. La Jolla Playhouse is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE).
Statement of Job
The Shop Helper plays a crucial role in supporting the scenic production staff in the safe and efficient completion of various projects. This entry-level position includes responsibilities such as maintaining the cleanliness of the shop and the overall facility, receiving deliveries, assisting with the upkeep of shop equipment, and organizing materials in their designated locations. The Scenic Shop Helper is an integral part of our team, contributing to the smooth operation of our production space and the successful execution of our projects.
Essential Job Duties
- Receive and efficiently manage the storage of materials, hardware, and deliveries in an organized manner.
- Pick up and drop off materials, hardware, tools for repair, and other items as assigned.
- Monitor ongoing materials usage and promptly notify the Shop Foreman when materials are running low or depleted.
- Identify and help prioritize shop improvements, including some R&D of identified solutions.
- Assist in maintaining a clean and safe shop space.
- Assist with setup and tear down of workspaces, including readying tools and materials.
- Participate in restoring production spaces during and following strikes, demonstrating a willingness to engage in the fast-paced and dynamic environment.
- Work with the Shop Foreman to manage an inventory of rigging hardware, tools, equipment, and consumables.
- Participate in the development of an environment that is both nourishing and invigorating for employees, artists, and patrons.
- Be an active participant in LJP’s work towards being a more equitable, diverse, and inclusive workplace.
- Perform other duties as assigned in collaboration with theatre personnel, professional creative teams, staff, management, and other visiting artists.
Requirements and Proficiencies
- Proficiency in forklift operation or ability to acquire this skill.
- Valid driver’s license, ability to drive a box truck, stakebed, and pickup preferred.
- Knowledgeable about the theatrical process or willing to learn.
- Possess strong verbal communication, critical thinking, attention to detail, problem solving, and organizational skills, including when working with competing priorities and time constraints.
- Knowledge of and dedication to safe work practices; OSHA 10 a plus.
- Commitment to uphold and meaningfully engage with the mission, vision, and values of La Jolla Playhouse.
- Access to reliable transportation.
- Being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by an FDA approved vaccine is a condition of employment.
- Frequently ascends/descends and moves about on ladders.
- Ability to work extended hours
- Frequently moves items weighing up to 50lbs and maneuvers heavy items with assistance.
- Environment varies from dark/quiet backstage to bright/loud on stage, also shop.