POSITION TITLE: Venue Experience Assistant
FLSA STATUS: Hourly
REPORTS TO: Venue Experience Manager
DEPARTMENT: Venue Experience
San Diego Repertory Theatre (The REP) produces intimate, provocative, inclusive theatre. We promote an interconnected community through vivid works that nourish progressive political and social values and celebrate the multiple voices of our region. We are committed to diversity both on-stage and among our staff and invite interested applicants to review our EDI statement, posted on our web site. We encourage applications from marginalized communities including black, indigenous, people of color, LGBTQIA+, women, neurodiversity, and people with disabilities.
Venue Experience Assistants (VEA) for San Diego Repertory Theatre will be an integral part of a team that welcomes our patrons and partners through the doors of one of San Diego’s premier live theater houses located in the heart of Downtown San Diego, California. Reporting directly to the Venue Experience Manager (VEM), Venue Experience Assistants will help ensure safe, cordial, and culturally invigorating experiences for patrons attending productions and events in REP theaters and related facilities. This is a part time position with working hours typically being between late afternoons/ evenings, Tuesday/Wednesday through Saturday/Sunday in accordance with typical production schedules and adjustments for special events. Candidates must have excellent interpersonal and strong organizational skills, the ability to think/act under pressure, and problem solve while providing excellent customer service to our patrons and will receive training for the Tessitura Network customer relationship management (CRM) system. Applicants should demonstrate a commitment to equity, diversity, inclusion and access and anti-racism work. The hourly rate is $17.00/hour with between 20-30 average weekly hours.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assist in opening and closing the venue and facilities in accordance with production and event schedules
- Assist in making sure the venue lobby is set up according to production/event specifications
- Assist The VEM in working with REP/Rental Production Teams to ensure all conditions are met for timely curtain calls and other Production/FOH considerations regarding live audiences.
- Work to ensure safe, efficient, and welcoming entry/exit of patrons into and out of venue lobby and theaters and ensuring patrons are seated at curtain times
- Brief volunteers on their responsibilities pre-opening and during shift
- Utilize strong decision-making and problem-solving skills when dealing with sensitive patron issues, both in the office and in venues facilities
- Overtime may be required as well other potential duties as necessary
EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE, and SKILLS
- Ability to stand for prolonged periods of time and lift a minimum of 25lbs
- Sensitivity for collaborating with diverse individuals, including patrons, coworkers, staff, donors, board members and artists who represent a variety of ethnicities, religions, genders, sexual orientations, and abilities.
- Flexible perspective – ability to work with processes and systems that are evolving and subject to change.
- Innovative problem-solver who can generate workable solutions.
- Strong oral and written communication skills that will support expanding and improving the patron experience.
- Ability to communicate in a professional, courteous manner in person, by e-mail and by telephone.
- Ability to work independently and in a collaborative team environment.
- Proficiency with MS Office Applications – Word, Excel and Outlook. (Preferred)
- Ability to work nights and weekends as needed.
- Spanish language proficiency is a plus.
- Due to changing Covid-19 guidelines, at time of hiring, candidates may be required to show proof of full vaccination or negative Covid-19 test.
Hourly rate for this part-time non-exempt position will be $17.00 plus The REP’s standard benefits package for employees of this type. Benefits are determined from time-to-time by The Rep’s management and may include paid Holidays, paid parking OR trolley pass reimbursement, and participation in REP retirement plans.
TO APPLYPlease email your resume, cover letter, and a personal diversity statement to Ahmed Kenyatta Dents, Director of Venue Experience, at firstname.lastname@example.org with “Venue Experience Assistant” in the subject line and tell us why you are the ideal candidate for this specific job. Form letters or resumes without a cover letter will not be considered.
The REP is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) and will not discriminate on the basis of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, marital status, gender identity, genetic information, sex or sexual orientation, or any other protected category in its hiring and employment practices, or in any other aspect of the employment relationship.