POSITION TITLE: Venue Experience Manager
FLSA STATUS: Hourly
REPORTS TO: Director of Venue Experience
DEPARTMENT: Venue Experience
San Diego Repertory Theatre (The REP) produces intimate, provocative, inclusive theatre. We promote an interconnected community through vivid works that nourish progressive political and social values and celebrate the multiple voices of our region. We are committed to diversity both on-stage and among our staff and invite interested applicants to review our EDI statement, posted on our web site. We encourage applications from marginalized communities including black, indigenous, people of color, LGBTQIA+, women, neurodiversity, and people with disabilities.
The Venue Experience Manager (VEM) for San Diego Repertory Theatre will be in charge of welcoming our patrons and partners through the doors of one of San Diego’s premier live theater houses located in the heart of Downtown San Diego, California. Reporting directly to the Director of Venue Experience (DVE), the Venue Experience Manager and their staff will ensure safe, cordial, and culturally invigorating experiences for patrons attending productions and events in REP theaters and related facilities. This is a full time position with working hours typically being between late afternoons and late evenings, Tuesday/Wednesday through Saturday/Sunday in accordance with typical production schedules and adjustments for special events. Previous House Management/Front of House experience preferred but not required. Previous customer service/management experience dealing with the public is required. Candidates must have excellent interpersonal and strong organizational skills, the ability to think/act under pressure, and problem solve while providing excellent customer service to our patrons and will receive training for the Tessitura Network customer relationship management (CRM) system. Applicants should demonstrate a commitment to equity, diversity, inclusion and access and anti-racism work. The hourly rate is $20.00/hour with 40 average weekly hours.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Manage opening and closing the venue and facilities in accordance with production and event schedules
- Manage Patron Experience for Front Of House operations for San Diego Rep and renting productions including management of Venue Experience Staff (Front of House/Concessions) including, staff scheduling, training, and all details pertaining to the on-site patron experience.
- Primary contact and liaison between venue front of house & box office staff to ensure smooth front of house operations at venue facilities.
- Completing an accurate detailed report of the nightly events
- Ensuring the venue lobby is set up according to production/event specifications
- Work with the Production Team to ensure all conditions are met for timely curtain calls and other Production/FOH considerations regarding live audiences.
- Taking daily/nightly responsibility for ensuring safe, efficient, and welcoming entry/exit of patrons into and out of venue lobby and theaters and ensuring patrons are seated at curtain times
- Supervision and logging of any patron health/safety disturbances or emergencies occurring in the venue
- Management of guest list and VIPS
- Brief all staff and volunteers on their responsibilities pre-opening and during shift
- Ensure the completion of incident reports relating to all incidents
- Ensuring Health and Safety policies and practices are adhered to across the venue for staff and customers during productions and events
- Scheduling of VEM Staff and Volunteers
- Inventory for and nightly reconciliation of Bar and Concessions
- Utilize strong decision-making and problem-solving skills when dealing with sensitive patron issues, both in the office and in venues facilities
- Overtime may be required as well other potential duties as necessary
EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE, and SKILLS
- 3-5 years Customer service/relations management experience
- Ability to stand for prolonged period of time and lift a minimum of 25lbs
- Sensitivity for collaborating with diverse individuals, including patrons, coworkers, staff, donors, board members and artists who represent a variety of ethnicities, religions, genders, sexual orientations, and abilities.
- Flexible perspective – ability to work with processes and systems that are evolving and subject to change.
- Innovative problem-solver who can generate workable solutions.
- Strong oral and written communication skills that will support expanding and improving the patron experience.
- Strong organizational skills including the ability to set priorities and meet deadlines.
- Excellent interpersonal skills including the ability to communicate across department and organizational boundaries, influence the decision of others, and deal effectively with multiple “customers” including department heads, donors, trustees and others.
- Ability to perform detailed work with a high degree of accuracy.
- Ability to communicate in a professional, courteous manner in person, by e-mail and by telephone.
- Ability to work independently and in a collaborative team environment.
- Proficiency with MS Office Applications – Word, Excel and Outlook. (Preferred)
- Ability to work nights and weekends as needed.
- Spanish language proficiency is a plus.
- Knowledge of theatre and arts administration is a plus.
- Due to changing Covid-19 guidelines, at time of hiring, candidates may be required to show proof of full vaccination or negative Covid-19 test.
This full time non-exempt position will receive compensation of $20.00 per hour plus benefits, including paid vacation, employer sponsored health insurance, employee-paid dental and vision insurance, and participation in 403b and FSA plans. Training in the Tessitura Network customer relationship management (CRM) system will be provided.
TO APPLYPlease email your resume, cover letter, and a personal diversity statement to Ahmed Kenyatta Dents, Director of Venue Experience, at email@example.com with “Venue Experience Manager” in the subject line and tell us why you are the ideal candidate for this specific job. Form letters or resumes without a cover letter will not be considered.
The REP is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) and will not discriminate on the basis of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, marital status, gender identity, genetic information, sex or sexual orientation, or any other protected category in its hiring and employment practices, or in any other aspect of the employment relationship.